These excerpts are from the book “Loony Laws” by Robert Pelton
- In Ottumwa, Iowa, “It is unlawful for any male person, within the corporate limits of the (city), to wink at any female person with whom he is unaquainted.”
- In Los Angeles, you cannot bathe two babies in the same tub at the same time.
- In Zion, Ill., it is illegal for anyone to give lighted cigars to dogs, cats, and other domesticated animals kept as pets.
- In Carmel, N.Y., a man can’t go outside while wearing a jacket and pants that do not match.
- In St. Louis, it’s illegal to sit on the curb of any city street and drink beer from a bucket.
- In Harford, Conn., you aren’t allowed to cross a street while walking on your hands.
- In Michigan, a woman isn’t allowed to cut her own hair without her husband’s permission.
- In Baltimore, it’s illegal to throw bales of hay from a second-story window within the city limits. It’s also illegal to take a lion to the movies.
- In Oxford, Ohio, it’s illegal for a woman to strip off her clothing while standing in front of a man’s picture. (ed: ???)
- In Pennsylvania, “any motorist driving along a country road at night must stop every mile and send up a rocket signal, wait 10 minutes for the road to be cleared of livestock, and continue.”
- In Carrizozo, N.M., it’s forbidden for a female to appear unshaven in public (includes legs and face).
- In Kentucky, “No female shall appear in a bathing suit on any highway within this state unless she be escorted by at least two officers or unless she be armed with a club”
- An amendment to the above legislation: “The provisions of this statuate shall not apply to females weighing less than 90 pounds nor exceeding 200 pounds, nor shall it apply to female horses.”
Adverts keep amateur blogs online